Friday, January 9, 2009

The arival of The Scamp


My long awaited return to the world of blogging... what better way to get back into the habit than to tell Noah's birth story!

I was induced on December 18th, one week past my due date. I won't go into details about the days leading up to the 18th.... let's just consider this my mass apology to the folks who had to endure the over-due part of my life with me, I was not pleasant to be around;-)

The morning of the 18th we were told to wait for a call from Labor and Delivery to tell us when to come in. They have to wait for an open bed, the women who come arrive in active labor have first priority. Of course I was up at 5am waiting for the phone to ring.... ring it did not until 9:14! Torture! We checked in at 9:45, I was in my gown at 10:00 and by 11:00 they started the Pitocin, a drug they administer through an IV that starts contractions. I met with the Doctor who said their plan to manage my heart condition was to be preemptive with my pain, in other words get the epidural going good and strong before the contractions were good and strong. The nurse came to check on me every 30 minutes and would up the dose of pitocin. I was having contractions but nothing that was taking my breath away and nothing that was consistent. Around 3:00 the nurse and Doctor came back in, they went ahead and ordered the epidural for 4:00 and then they checked to see what my progress was... no change at all, I was still 3cm dilated! The Doc then decided to break my water to get things going....

That did the trick, things picked up in a big way! I immediately went into active labor. Then I knew what real contractions felt like, I don't know what I was thinking with every false alarm before that! They say that with pitocin it seems like nothing happens for a long time and then BAM labor kicks in and when it does the contractions are more intense. Yeah... intense... that's not how I would describe it. I like to think I have a high tolerance for pain and this was just horrible! The contractions were right on top of each other and I had to wait an hour before the anesthesiologist came in to give me the epidural. Jeff was so great the whole time. I never once had to tell him what to do, he just kept doing all the right things! I didn't want anyone to talk to me... he just sat silently with me holding my hand... he was wonderful:-)

When the anesthesiologist came in he explained that because of my heart condition they could not give me the same type of epidural that they would administer to another mama. In a normal epi there are two medications, one that dilates your blood vessels causing the second medication that numbs you to be absorbed quickly. I was unable to have the first medication so he said it would take about 15 minutes for me to start feeling some relief. After about 10 minutes I noticed that I was feeling a bit better on the right side but the left was still horribly painful. They ended up having to give me a second epidural since the first did not take on the left side. Around 6:30 I finally started feeling some relief from the pain. The doctor came in to check me and I was
7cm dilated, so at least the pain was doing something!

After the epi started doing it's job I was a much happier patient. We just tried to relax and rest, we even watched a movie. My Doctor came in around 8:15 to check me, and I was FINALLY 10 cm and ready to push! Before we got to the hospital my Mom had suggested making a mix CD of songs to have playing in the background. At the time I thought I would want it quiet, but after the first couple pushes I changed my mind and quickly asked if someone could do something to make some background noise. My wonderful Doc offered his iphone for the job... now that's a full-service doctor. We joked that whatever song was playing when he was born would be his theme song. The song playing right before he came out was Eric Clapton's Cocaine. I don't know what the next song on the album is (and I was a little preoccupied at the time to notice) we're just grateful his theme song isn't cocaine:-) I pushed for 1 hour 45 minutes... at 9:46 Noah joined this world!

I can replay the moment the Doctor placed him on my chest a million times a day and every time it brings a tear to my eye. His little face looking up at me and Jeff... the little sounds he was making... it was the most amazing moment, the best moment.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Welcome to the world little Noah!