Monday, November 16, 2009

The Weight



We had originally planned to head back to North Carolina at the end of December to prepare for my procedure in January with Dr. Natale at Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute. While I have had this problem for years and years I was pretty much able to go about my daily life without anyone being the wiser. I might have complained that I was 'having a bad heart day' but did not often find myself benched from most of the things I enjoyed to do. Then I had a baby (who is so sweet, don't you think?!). My threshold for pain/exhaustion that I once maintained has been getting lower and lower. I now find myself pausing before doing the simplest of tasks to make sure I can physically handle it. A few weeks ago I decided that I should stop in to see the Doctor on Base who manages my care while living in Japan; just to let him know how I was feeling. He very strongly advised that we get back to the States as soon as possible. The hospital on Base is not equipped to care for a patient like myself. It is next to impossible for an American to receive care from a Japanese Hospital. There are so many different flus going around and the Doctor said that if I were to get sick, with my already compromised state of health, that I would most likely need to be hospitalized. SO... we decided it would be best to head back home a few months earlier than planned. One of the things that worried the Doctor on Base was the fact that I have been loosing weight. Last month I lost 11 pounds... without trying, without changing my diet, without any real physical activity. My heart just races All. The. Time. I guess it is starting to take its toll on my metabolism. So when the doctor told me to eat as much fattening foods as I could, I was totally on board with that prescription! I love to cook, I cook every day. I do try to cook healthy, and still am, I just have added a few treats to my daily routine!

Finally, this heart condition is starting to look up!

I discovered this recipe today and quickly made these while Noah was napping. He woke up just in time to lick the spoon. I had to have gained at least a pound today! (dinner consisted of homemade bbq bacon cheese burgers. gluttonous.)

No-bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal Bars


3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups quick oats
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter

In saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the brown sugar, vanilla and oats. Stir. Warning: it is a sticky mess.

In a microwave safe bowl add the chocolate chips and the PB. Melt in microwave on medium heat, stirring occasionally so the chocolate does not burn (this would be heartbreaking).

In a greased 8x8 pan, add 1/2 the oat mixture, pressing it down firmly. Pour the chocolate mixture over the oats, reserving some to drizzle on the top. Add the remaining oats, lightly press down. Drizzle remaining chocolate.

Place in fridge for 3 hours before cutting.

For your safety, eat with a glass of milk:-)

*before you go and think I have mad food photography skills, I must admit I stole this picture from another bloggers website.




4 comments:

Erin Delgado said...

You are scaring me & making me hungry all at the same time! I think it's so wonderful and appropriate that you are utilizing your blog to take us through your journey. It will probably touch more people than you know...

Lindsey Broere said...

Um yeah..so I'm glad you are coming home to avoid being HOSPITALIZED...scary stuff!

and I'm also glad you posted the yummy recipe...I think I can justify making it because (1) it has oatmeal and that's healthy, right (2) peanut butter is considered a major food group in this house and (3) I'm pregnant--have a few days/weeks left--and haven't had given into junk food YET!

I'll let you know how it turns out :-)

Emily said...

I was totally jealous of your photog skillz before I saw your disclaimer :)

Rose said...

Oh my, I didn't realize! I'll be thinking of you and Noah, and just call or email if you need anything from this end. I'll be sure Rob keeps an eye on Jeff so he doesn't get too lonely. Take care!